FAO Shaun
thang ornithorhynchus
2010-04-12 06:59:30 UTC
Just got the email from ***@securstar.ccemails.net advising of new
DC compatible with Win 7, can you advise if there is progress on DCPP
for Win 7 (the reliance on FAT for the dummy partition was the major
problem, as it is not tolerated by Win 7)?

thanks

thang
Shaun Hollingworth
2010-04-19 14:03:34 UTC
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:59:30 +0800, thang ornithorhynchus
Post by thang ornithorhynchus
DC compatible with Win 7, can you advise if there is progress on DCPP
for Win 7 (the reliance on FAT for the dummy partition was the major
problem, as it is not tolerated by Win 7)?
thanks
thang
Hello Thang,

DCPP hidden disk issue is still not resolved on Win7 (we will be
resuming this very soon and it IS in the works) but all other
functions are OK.

Win7 needed some other major works because of the extensive use of the
new small bootpartition (where Bootauth has to be installed) being
hidden and not accessible with drive letters. Also protection of
bootauth has been changed, and automatic repair of the same.

Unfortunately this has held back work on HiddenOS for Win7/Vista

Regards,
Shaun.
thang ornithorhynchus
2010-04-21 15:12:32 UTC
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:03:34 +0100, Shaun Hollingworth
Post by Shaun Hollingworth
[...]
I run an OEM Win7/32 and when I first set it up ayear ago, on a 1TB
disk, it tried to create a little 100mb boot partition which I did not
want. So, I deleted the entire partition and went back to basics.
First, I used the factory software to prepare the disk (WD) for
installation of WIn32, and then I set it up again, and it did *not*
create the 100mb boot partition. I can upload screenshots of Paragon
HD Manager showing my two partitions (Truecrypt hidden vol) not three
if you like. It is not at all inevitable that Win7 sets up the small
boot partition. Perhaps you can experiment a bit to your own
satisfaction.

If that is your major problem, I do not believe it is a problem. The
people who use DCPP (and TC hidden vol) are reasonable intelligent and
need to know a bit about partitions etc, so if there is a little more
to setting up DCPP on Win7, then your target clientelle will have no
major problem following your steps.

thang
Shaun
2010-04-25 14:14:29 UTC
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:12:32 +0800, thang ornithorhynchus
<***@spitzola.com.org.net> wrote:

[...]
[...]
Thang,

Thanks for your suggestions.

In fact we have many corporate customers for "DcPPe" a (new enterprise
version #3) and even some commercial standalone DCPP users who would
not tolerate having to mess around with the OS to use the software.

I know that one can avoid having to let it create a new mini
partition. For example IIRC W7 will not/cannot create one if there
are already 4 partitions on the boot disk, but often it ships with the
partition already there on brand new computers. There were other
problems which had to be resolved in any case including the fact that
VolumeShadowCopy wasn't supported (a showstopper for some business
customers) hich lead to some major changes in the DCPP driver and the
addition of a new (BaProt.sys) support driver

But soon I will be back on the DCPP hidden disk issue, unless
anything else crops up in the mean time.

Regards,
Shaun.
Shaun
2010-08-26 12:14:39 UTC
Hello,

I am not sure if this group is read by anyone anymore as I've not seen
anything relevant for some time.

But, just a note to let anyone interested know that there is soon to
be released (a few weeks or so) a version of DCPP supporting hidden
disks on Vista and Win7

It will also have the following features which are undergoing tests
and final development:

(*) Abilility (1 click) to easily move the boot code, from the
100mbyte (Win7 and occassionaly Vista) "system_reserved" partition to
the main Windows partition and set up to start there. Necessary if one
needs to completely seperate hidden partition bootup which needs to
be completely independent of any other startup partition.

(*) HiddenOS (now on a seperate partition) does not have to be same
size as the main os. It can be smaller or much larger.

(*) Main OS partition can be accessed and used as a data disk when
hidden OS is booted. IE it is visible to the HiddenOS when it is
booted.

(*) Main OS can be booted and used independently.

Win7 and Vista only:

(*) Disk can be completely randomized and hiddenOs booted from a
seperate boot device. IE the MBR can contain nothing but random data,
along with the rest of the disk which would simply appear as if it had
perhaps been scrubbed by a previous owner prior to resale.

(*) HiddenOS host disk can be deleted and randomly scrubbed and made
to look like yet unallocated data on the disk.

(*) Mbr can be removed, the data scrubbed and hiddenOS booted only
from seperate device.

(*) All modes which boot from seperate boot device make MBR rootkit
virtually impossible unless it was there beforehand.

Features and new version (c) 2010 SecurStar GmbH

SecurStar:

SecureStar development staff were, as far as I know, the first
people in the world to bring to users the following features in an
OTFE product:

Fully randomised headers in container files and partitions, bringing
with them, the inability to determine the type of encrypted
container, or indeed if it WAS a encrypted container at all, or the
type of encryption algorithm used on the volume. First introduced by
Scramdisk in 1997

"Traveller mode", a portable environment in 1997 in Scramdisk

Steganograpy in Wav audio files in Scramdisk in 1998 where a complete
disk could be kept within a WAV file., and still supported today in
DC5

Hidden operating systems. "HiddenOS" As far as I kinow this was not
really considered possible before we did it a few years ago. As far as
I know, before anyone else.

Seperate keyfiles, stored on disk and USB token devices which could
be given to other users to access the containers and partitions with
different passwords.. First available in Scramdisk on disk, and then
Tokens etc on DriveCrypt 3

People might nowdays think that some of our competitors, especially
those providing freeware products did all these first, but I am almost
sure they didn't.

Regards,
Shaun.
nemo_outis
2010-08-26 14:14:10 UTC
Post by Shaun
Hello,
I am not sure if this group is read by anyone anymore as
I've not seen anything relevant for some time.

Thanks for the update.

Regards,