DCPP hidden os failure
c***@myway.com
2007-11-17 19:34:27 UTC
Hi,

I installed DCPP with hidden os feature,everything was ok for about 2
weeks,then 1 day i tried to boot up and it said 'missing OS' after the
correct hidden os password was entered.When i however enter the
password for the fake OS,it boots with no problem.I don't have a copy
of the encryption key for the hidden OS stored as backup,unless it is
stored on the ERD..

Is there a way for me to recover the situation without having to use
the recovery.exe prog to decrpyt the hidden os?Do i have to fiddle
around with boot records or something?

Thanks,

CC
c***@myway.com
CC
Shaun Hollingworth
2007-11-23 17:48:45 UTC
Hmmm...

This is what might happen if someone boots into the fake OS and then
writes some data which will overwritet the hidden area...

The only way to try to recover is to use the recovery, to decrypt the
hidden os, down to the main disk area then try and recover the now
decrypted OS, along with any files, save them, and then start
completely over.

Regards,
Shaun.
CC
c***@myway.com
2007-11-25 09:09:06 UTC
Thanks for reply.

Further info:A 600mb gap was placed between the two OS during
installation and the fake OS was accessed very briefly.

Looks like i'll be spending my next free weekend sorting this out...

Cheers,

CC