First experience with TrueCrypt 5.0
Snowwhite
2008-02-10 11:32:48 UTC
After downloading the new TrueCrypt 5.0 I encrypted my complete
hardisk (320 GB with 4 partitions). Burning of the rescue disk, the
encrypting process and the first restart of my computer went fine. The
next restart brought the problems. The system partion c: was the only
one left, the three others turned into freespace.
Did anybody else experienced such problems? BTW: I made a backup
before so I didn't lose any data. I don't believe having made a
mistake with TrueCrypt and that makes me a bit suspicious of this new
Version.

Regards,
Snowwhite
Guest
2008-02-10 14:59:39 UTC
Post by Snowwhite
After downloading the new TrueCrypt 5.0 I encrypted my complete
hardisk (320 GB with 4 partitions). Burning of the rescue disk, the
encrypting process and the first restart of my computer went fine. The
next restart brought the problems. The system partion c: was the only
one left, the three others turned into freespace.
That's a known problem.

If you go to the TC forum, go to the Known Problem - system encryption
subforum and check the 'known problem' item.

Basically, TC doesn't like extended partitions. (It also doesn't like CRC
errors, some sound cards, some sata drives, etc.)

http://forums.truecrypt.org/viewtopic.php?t=8631

You'll have to register before you can even read those forums, though. For
some bizarre reason, the TC forum admins don't want you to read those forums
so you can find out about current problems and work-arounds! Sounds pretty
idiotic or arrogant to me...

I can understand requiring registration before posting, but forcing you to
register just so you can check about problems...?
Snowwhite
Guest
2008-02-10 15:15:59 UTC
Post by Guest
Post by Snowwhite
After downloading the new TrueCrypt 5.0 I encrypted my complete
hardisk (320 GB with 4 partitions). Burning of the rescue disk, the
encrypting process and the first restart of my computer went fine. The
next restart brought the problems. The system partion c: was the only
one left, the three others turned into freespace.
That's a known problem.
If you go to the TC forum, go to the Known Problem - system encryption
subforum and check the 'known problem' item.
Make that "Problems-System encryption" forum. You have to register to be
able to even read the 'Problems' forums.

TC also doesn't work with hibernation (deliberately disabled for technical
reasons), some systems can't 'sleep' anymore, and so on. Plus, a lot of
people are having trouble burning the recovery ISO because it's a
non-standard image.

And if you watch there and the Wilder's security forum (and others, of
course), you can see that TC5 definetly still has teething problems, plus a
few regressions over TC4.3a. Definetly not ready for real use.

As for your problem, if you decrypt the drive, everything should be back to
normal. At least that's what I read somewhere or other.
Snowwhite
Snowwhite
2008-02-10 19:06:19 UTC
Post by Guest
Post by Snowwhite
Did anybody else experienced such problems? BTW: I made a backup
before so I didn't lose any data. I don't believe having made a
mistake with TrueCrypt and that makes me a bit suspicious of this new
Version.
Regards,
Snowwhite
Thanks a lot. I stick to DCPP which I'm using for a long time. Never
had any problems.

Regards,
Snowwhite
nemo_outis
2008-02-10 19:39:56 UTC
Post by Snowwhite
Thanks a lot. I stick to DCPP which I'm using for a long time. Never
had any problems.
Regards,
Snowwhite
Don't give up on Truecrypt yet - just wait until it gets another rev or two
under its belt from feedback from many different users with many different
configurations. The developers have been very responsive so far.

In the meantime it's very promising but, however it's labelled, it's really
a beta.

Regards,
Doctor Who
2008-02-10 21:55:43 UTC
Post by Snowwhite
After downloading the new TrueCrypt 5.0 I encrypted my complete
hardisk (320 GB with 4 partitions). Burning of the rescue disk, the
encrypting process and the first restart of my computer went fine. The
next restart brought the problems. The system partion c: was the only
one left, the three others turned into freespace.
Did anybody else experienced such problems? BTW: I made a backup
before so I didn't lose any data. I don't believe having made a
mistake with TrueCrypt and that makes me a bit suspicious of this new
Version.
Regards,
Snowwhite
I think this is covered in the known problems page of the TC Website.
I believe they claim that these extra partitions become encrypted, but
the data is still there, just not visible. Not much use, I suppose in
itself, but you can decrypt the whole drive back to square one and try
again, but choose only to encrypt the Windows system partition.

At least you got it to work. In my case I experience the known bug
"Insufficient memory to encrypt" after entering the passphrase.

This with 4 Gigs of RAM!

Doctor Who