old scramdisk newish computer!!!
Dave
2008-06-16 17:50:47 UTC
Hi

I've got a very old scramdisk container I'd like to gain access to once
again. I'm using windows 2000 (NTFS) but I created this scramdisk
container yonks ago in my win95/98 days. Using drivecrypt I can seem to
open the old container but then it's nowhere to be seen. Drivecrypt
tells me it's already mounted when I try to open it again.
Is this a file system problem as I would have been using fat/fat32 when
it was created and is there a solution?
TIA
Dave
Sarah Dean
2008-06-16 18:32:21 UTC
Post by Dave
Hi
I've got a very old scramdisk container I'd like to gain access to once
again. I'm using windows 2000 (NTFS) but I created this scramdisk
container yonks ago in my win95/98 days. Using drivecrypt I can seem to
open the old container but then it's nowhere to be seen. Drivecrypt
tells me it's already mounted when I try to open it again.
Is this a file system problem as I would have been using fat/fat32 when
it was created and is there a solution?
It wouldn't be a FAT/FAT32 issue, as Windows 2000 has no problems reading
this filesystem.

What do you get if you drop to a command prompt and type "DIR X:" (using
the appropriate drive letter)?

ScramDisk may be old and obsolete these days, though even if DriveCrypt
can't help, it should still be relativly straightforward to get at your
data by either using a Virtual PC running an old copy of Windows 9x, or
Linux with SD4L
--
Sarah Dean
FreeOTFE site: http://www.FreeOTFE.org/

For information on SecureTrayUtil, Shredders, On-The-Fly Encryption
(OTFE; disk encryption) systems, etc, see the URLs above.
Dave
2008-06-17 18:16:00 UTC
In article <***@194.177.96.78>, sdean12
@sdean12.org says...
Post by Sarah Dean
Post by Dave
Hi
I've got a very old scramdisk container I'd like to gain access to once
again. I'm using windows 2000 (NTFS) but I created this scramdisk
container yonks ago in my win95/98 days. Using drivecrypt I can seem to
open the old container but then it's nowhere to be seen. Drivecrypt
tells me it's already mounted when I try to open it again.
Is this a file system problem as I would have been using fat/fat32 when
it was created and is there a solution?
It wouldn't be a FAT/FAT32 issue, as Windows 2000 has no problems reading
this filesystem.
What do you get if you drop to a command prompt and type "DIR X:" (using
the appropriate drive letter)?
Yeah, I've tried that and nothing shows in the drivecrypt window as
being mounted so I don't even know what drive letter it should have
mounted too. I've gone through the letters of the alphabet in exployer
in the hope that it's just not showing and no luck. I have this
container backed up on cd as well as the copy I transfered over from my
old win98 set up and I'm having the same problem with both copies so I
doubt the container is corrupt in any way..
Post by Sarah Dean
ScramDisk may be old and obsolete these days, though even if DriveCrypt
can't help, it should still be relativly straightforward to get at your
data by either using a Virtual PC running an old copy of Windows 9x, or
Linux with SD4L
I try that next. I post back and let you know if I solve the problem.

Thanks
Dave
John Wunderlich
2008-06-17 19:23:27 UTC
Post by Dave
@sdean12.org says...
Post by Sarah Dean
ScramDisk may be old and obsolete these days, though even if
DriveCrypt can't help, it should still be relativly
straightforward to get at your data by either using a Virtual PC
running an old copy of Windows 9x, or Linux with SD4L
I try that next. I post back and let you know if I solve the
problem.
Thanks
Dave
If I recall correctly, the very first version of Truecrypt (1.0) would
work with Scramdisk containers. You might be able to find that version
hanging around the web somewhere.

Good Luck,
John
nemo_outis
2008-06-18 12:41:29 UTC
Post by John Wunderlich
If I recall correctly, the very first version of Truecrypt (1.0) would
work with Scramdisk containers. You might be able to find that version
hanging around the web somewhere.
I have it and can up it to, say, rapidshare, if requested.

Regards,
Carsten Krueger
2008-06-18 21:24:10 UTC
Post by nemo_outis
I have it and can up it to, say, rapidshare, if requested.
http://rapidshare.com/files/123424817/Truecrypt_v10_v10a_v20_binary_source_and_signatures.zip.html
Truecrypt 1.0, 1.0a, 2.0 - binaries & sourcecode incl. signature

greetings
Carsten
--
ID = 0x2BFBF5D8 FP = 53CA 1609 B00A D2DB A066 314C 6493 69AB 2BFB F5D8
http://www.realname-diskussion.info - Realnames sind keine Pflicht
cakruege (at) gmail (dot) com | http://www.geocities.com/mungfaq/
Dave
2008-06-21 18:29:38 UTC
Post by Carsten Krueger
Post by nemo_outis
I have it and can up it to, say, rapidshare, if requested.
http://rapidshare.com/files/123424817/Truecrypt_v10_v10a_v20_binary_source_and_signatures.zip.html
Truecrypt 1.0, 1.0a, 2.0 - binaries & sourcecode incl. signature
greetings
Carsten
I'll give it a go over the weekend and let you know if it works for me.
Thanks
Dave