Removed Encryption
Snowwhite
2007-10-29 07:14:57 UTC
Hello,

I have a hard disk with 4 partitions all DCPP encrypted. One of them
is FAT32 the other three are NTFS. I wanted to reformat the FAT32
partition to NTFS. So I moved my files, reformatted the partition with
NTFS and moved the files back. No problem, everything seemed to be
fine. A few days later when I happened to open the drives section of
DCPP I realized that the newly formatted partition wasn't encrypted
anymore. Obviously encryption of a partition is removed when
formatting it. Perhaps this is a perfectly normal thing. But I don't
know why it has to be so.

Regards,
Snowwhite
Shaun Hollingworth
2007-11-23 17:55:32 UTC
Post by Snowwhite
Hello,
I have a hard disk with 4 partitions all DCPP encrypted. One of them
is FAT32 the other three are NTFS. I wanted to reformat the FAT32
partition to NTFS. So I moved my files, reformatted the partition with
NTFS and moved the files back. No problem, everything seemed to be
fine. A few days later when I happened to open the drives section of
DCPP I realized that the newly formatted partition wasn't encrypted
anymore. Obviously encryption of a partition is removed when
formatting it. Perhaps this is a perfectly normal thing. But I don't
know why it has to be so.
Regards,
Snowwhite
The answer to that is very simple and there's nothing sinister going
on.

DCPP uses existing filing system structures on the disk, to decide if
the disk is encrypted or not. When the keys are applied and it finds
the structures after decrypting the relevant sectors it takes the disk
as being encrypted.

However when the disk is in a dismounted state (inaccessible) then
any format operation will write directly to the disk and bypass the
DCPP encryption/decryption engine..

Once the formmat has been completed, then DCPP will see the disk
structures as being correct WITHOUT any decryption and will therefore
"know" the disk is not encrypted.

Regards,
Sh.