DCPP no display on laptop
MisterEd
2008-07-12 20:38:37 UTC
Hope there's somebody out there who can help or point me to a group where I
might find an answer.
I'm trying to get a whole drive encryption program to work on a laptop
running WindowsXP (or Win2K). I found 3 programs that can do whole disk
encryption. DriveCrypt Plus Pack, PGP v.9 and Truecrypt v.5. The first 2
are payware and the last is open source freeware.
I got them all.
PGP 9 installed almost but threw up a fatal error and exited. Tried a few
times. No good. OK. Ditch that and registry clean etc reboot. Truecrypt 5
installed. On reboot I get the screen for password and enter it and
nothing. Tried a few times. OK. Ditch that. Clean. Reboot etc etc.
DriveCrypt Plus Pack (latest trial version) installed fine. Set it up,
installed Boot Authority and reboot. Get to the password entry OK. Insert
pass and then I get a blank display, black. I can hear Windows starting up
(Windows startup jingle) but I can't see anything. Of all 3 programs DCPP
'seems' to be working, sort of. Not much good though if it disables my
display. Of course I haven't got to the stage of encrypting anything yet so
I use the rescue disk with tools and restore the mbr and I'm back to
normal.
I'm lost for answers why the display drops out. It's got to be a laptop
thing as I tried DCPP on a desktop with Win2K and the display hung in there
. I tried it with Win2k on the laptop and same thing - no display.
Anybody got any ideas?
Arild Bjørk
2008-07-13 11:46:44 UTC
Post by MisterEd
Hope there's somebody out there who can help or point me to a group where I
might find an answer.
I'm trying to get a whole drive encryption program to work on a laptop
running WindowsXP (or Win2K). I found 3 programs that can do whole disk
encryption. DriveCrypt Plus Pack, PGP v.9 and Truecrypt v.5. The first 2
are payware and the last is open source freeware.
I got them all.
You've missed one:
http://www.ce-infosys.com/english/downloads/free_compusec/index.html

I have used Truecrypt 5 and FREE CompuSec with full disk encryption with
no problems. FREE Compusec I've tested on a variety of laptops from 5-6
year old Pentium 4 (not mobile) based to newer Pentium Ms. Left DCPP a
couple of years ago, but as with the others I've had no problems with
it. You've might give Truecrypt a try again. It's up to version 6.0a

What kind of hardware have you got?
MisterEd
2008-07-14 16:15:19 UTC
Post by Arild Bjørk
Post by MisterEd
[...]
Arild,
Thanks for reply and most importantly, the Truecrypt 6.0a suggestion.
Old laptop: 1.3ghz, 384mb, 20gb, DVD-rom, SiS gfx chip <- #1 suspect at
this stage for the problems (?).
I've been using images of basic Win2KSP4, XP & XPSP2 installations to
test with.
Actually with DCPP on W2K I can get past Boot Authority, Windows progress
bar & then Windows splash screen but fails to go any further. Screen goes
black - lights out.
I got Truecrypt 6.0a. I tried it on a basic XP image and,
SUCCESS!
Everything worked fine. Encrypted the drive, successful reboots with
password. Pulled the drive and slaved it and Windows sees it as an
unformatted drive of 0 bytes.
Hoorah! I've got a working one. I have spent some time on this.
I'll try it with XPSP2 next.

Still curious why DCPP in particular failed on (this)laptop but works on
a desktop machine. Tried every combination I could in BIOS and Windows,
uninstalled the SiS drivers but always the dead display. I'm nagged by
the suspicion that it's something simple I just don't know about.
Thanks again for the TC6 suggestion and thanks to the folks at Truecrypt.
The WDE function only works with XP and not W2K which is my preferred
windows OS. DCPP doesn't mind W2K.
I still need some more work on XP to turn it into W2K. One or 2
"features" I haven't managed to kill yet. But I've got most of them.