Recovering TrueCrypt volumes?
Michael
2008-02-07 15:20:20 UTC
I'm using 4.1. I had four volumes in a folder labled "Temp" on a drive other
than my boot drive.

I had a volume open working on it when there was a power outage. This has
happened before with no bad results.

However, after power restoration, I go back in, and find all of the
TrueCrypt volumes gone. No trace of them. Empty folder.

So...I go to the backup DVD's I had copied them to. Although I had mounted
each volume after I made the DVD's, my Plextor drive now refuses to read
them. Big lesson learned for cheap spindle DVD's.

Then, I used a utility I have called "Restoration", which lets me recover
deleted files. Looking at the drive the volumes were on, there's absolutely
no trace of them or anything close top their size.

I then checked the boot drive, and ditto, no trace.

I'm hoping the learned might suggest how I can find/recover the volumes.

I'm using TrueCrypt 4.1 with Windows XP Pro.
Johnny Cat
2008-02-17 15:37:10 UTC
Post by Michael
[...]
This may not be of much help to you now, but I would suggest that
you not put things you want to keep in any folder named "Temp" --
especially if it's at the root of a Windows volume.

The OS itself may have wiped these files out.

Good luck,
JC