Announce: FreeOTFE v4.0 released
Sarah Dean
2008-07-02 18:24:57 UTC
(Posting this few days after it was actually released, but still...)

FreeOTFE v4.0 has now been released and can be downloaded from:

http://www.FreeOTFE.org/

The main changes from the previous version include:

*) Added support for 64 bit versions of MS Windows
*) Added support for PKCS#11 (Cryptoki) security tokens/smartcards
*) Significantly improved partition selection system
*) Added "/drive", "/keyfile" and "/lesfile" command line parameters when
mounting volumes
*) Added user configurable global setting for default drive letter
*) Extensive additions, changes and improvements made to documentation
*) Numerous cosmetic and usability improvements
--
Sarah Dean
FreeOTFE site: http://www.FreeOTFE.org/

For information on SecureTrayUtil, Shredders, On-The-Fly Encryption
(OTFE; disk encryption) systems, etc, see the URLs above.
nemo_outis
2008-07-02 19:20:18 UTC
Post by Sarah Dean
(Posting this few days after it was actually released, but still...)
http://www.FreeOTFE.org/
*) Added support for 64 bit versions of MS Windows
*) Added support for PKCS#11 (Cryptoki) security tokens/smartcards
*) Significantly improved partition selection system
*) Added "/drive", "/keyfile" and "/lesfile" command line parameters when
mounting volumes
*) Added user configurable global setting for default drive letter
*) Extensive additions, changes and improvements made to
documentation *) Numerous cosmetic and usability improvements
Thanks for all the effort. I'm particularly pleased about the 64-bit
support.

Regards,
Orggl Arhzn
2008-07-02 23:49:11 UTC
On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 20:24:57 +0200 (CEST), Sarah Dean
Post by Sarah Dean
(Posting this few days after it was actually released, but still...)
http://www.FreeOTFE.org/
*) Added support for 64 bit versions of MS Windows
*) Added support for PKCS#11 (Cryptoki) security tokens/smartcards
*) Significantly improved partition selection system
*) Added "/drive", "/keyfile" and "/lesfile" command line parameters when
mounting volumes
*) Added user configurable global setting for default drive letter
*) Extensive additions, changes and improvements made to documentation
*) Numerous cosmetic and usability improvements
Sarah you have been around as far as I can recall for at least the
last ten years, originally posting comparisons which were very useful
and then migrating into development yourself. You are as safe as
houses, as we say in Au, especially those houses which do not have
back doors.

I have used for the last decade both DCCP and DC, and Truecrypt, all
of which are very very good. I have set up a new very fast C2D/X48
rig with 2 750Gb drives and I am inclined to at least encrypt one of
them entirely OTFE. Your web page says that there is no signature -
does that mean no non-random ASCII, no headers, just totally random
bits translating to nothing? Where are the keys stored? Secondly, I
can't see the equivalent of encryption within encryption (hidden
volumes), which both DCCP and Truecrype support. I use this presently
on my boot drive and would gladly swap to your product if this was
available.

Whether I do or not, however, I thank you for your unselfish and
unstinting efforts over at least the last decade.

Orggl Arhzn
Orggl Arhzn
2008-07-03 00:01:45 UTC
Post by Sarah Dean
[...]
I just read the manual, and in both instances, the answer is yes. High
entropy is ok here in Au because there is no reversal of the burden of
proof - it must be demonstrated that the contents of an OTFE disk is
encrypted, not the reverse. I will peruse your hidden volume details
soon. On face value, it seems a little less intuitive or user
friendly than DCCP, but of course your software is designed for those
with advanced experience and knowledge :)

Orggl