Preventing Windows XP from trying to compress TrueCrypt volumes
curious guy
2007-05-09 18:19:06 UTC
Every time I move a TrueCrypt volume, Windows XP Home tries to
compress it and I have to uncompress it before I can use it with
TrueCrypt. This takes a LONG time.

Is there any way I can make Windows XP not try to compress any file
with the extension "tc"?
John Wunderlich
2007-05-09 19:47:46 UTC
Post by curious guy
Every time I move a TrueCrypt volume, Windows XP Home tries to
compress it and I have to uncompress it before I can use it with
TrueCrypt. This takes a LONG time.
Is there any way I can make Windows XP not try to compress any file
with the extension "tc"?
From what I read in "Best practices for NTFS compression in Windows"

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251186/EN-US/>

The solution is not to enable compression on the whole or root drive
but instead only enable compression on select folders. Then placing a
file in a non-compressed area should prevent this problem.

HTH,
John