I accidentally slid files into sandboxie - can they be recovered - how?
Caroline Freisen
2007-12-31 09:38:21 UTC
I was testing out sandboxie on winxp and I accidentally slid some important
files into the folder using the non-sandboxed windows explorer.

Now I can't get to those critical files. Sandboxie won't unhide them. Are
they still there? Can they be gotten out?

Please help!
Caroline
Caroline Freisen
2007-12-31 09:42:58 UTC
Post by Caroline Freisen
I was testing out sandboxie on winxp and I accidentally slid some important
files into the folder using the non-sandboxed windows explorer.
Now I can't get to those critical files. Sandboxie won't unhide them. Are
they still there? Can they be gotten out?
I should mention sandboxie was running but only in the background.
I wasn't "using" sandboxie.
When I use sandboxie on purpose, I can undelete files easily.
But in this case, I wasn't using sandboxie. I just slid files into the
sandboxie protected folder. And bam. They all disappeared.

Is there any way to recover the files that were slid into the sandboxie
folder manually? Or are they all gone forever?

Caroline
Anonymous Sender >
Were you using sandboxie?
Caroline Freisen
2007-12-31 16:44:22 UTC
Post by Anonymous Sender >
Post by Caroline Freisen
Is there any way to recover the files that were slid into the sandboxie
folder manually? Or are they all gone forever?
Were you using sandboxie?
No. That's the wierd thing. I was OUTSIDE of sandboxie. It was running, I
guess, as a "service" (or whatever it is) but I never hit the sandboxie
buttons.

I was outside of sandboxie, in windows explorer, and all I did was
inadvertently "slide" files into the sandboxie folder and now when I click
on the sandboxie controlled folder, it says permission denied no matter how
many times I change the permissions.

I'm sure this is outside the normal use model but that's why I ask.

Caroline
hummingbird
2007-12-31 17:49:31 UTC
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:44:22 GMT 'Caroline Freisen'
Post by Caroline Freisen
Post by Anonymous Sender >
Post by Caroline Freisen
Is there any way to recover the files that were slid into the sandboxie
folder manually? Or are they all gone forever?
Were you using sandboxie?
No. That's the wierd thing. I was OUTSIDE of sandboxie. It was running, I
guess, as a "service" (or whatever it is) but I never hit the sandboxie
buttons.
I was outside of sandboxie, in windows explorer, and all I did was
inadvertently "slide" files into the sandboxie folder and now when I click
on the sandboxie controlled folder, it says permission denied no matter how
many times I change the permissions.
I'm sure this is outside the normal use model but that's why I ask.
Caroline
If Sandboxie creates a folder, can you not get into it through
a half-decent file manager and copy the files out?
--
"I do not post with deliberate and misleading errors"
<Franklin>, ACF, 23-Nov-2007 ... but ... but ... but

"The actual thread is called *Susan Bugher hides from fact*
started by Hummingbird's sockpuppet on 13th December"
<Franklin>, ACF, 26-Dec-2007
George
2007-12-31 21:11:52 UTC
Caroline

I found that I can open the contents of the sandbox by opening the
following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\[your name]\
Application Data\Sandbox\DefaultBox\Device\HarddiskVolume1

George
hummingbird
2007-12-31 21:21:55 UTC
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:11:52 -0800 (PST) 'George'
Post by Caroline Freisen
Caroline
I found that I can open the contents of the sandbox by opening the
C:\Documents and Settings\[your name]\
Application Data\Sandbox\DefaultBox\Device\HarddiskVolume1
George
You replied to me in the thread although your comment is addressed
to Caroline. But anyway, what you say is exactly what I was pointing
out to Caroline, although I didn't know the name of the folder.

<Franklin>, ACF, 26-Dec-2007
Caroline Freisen
2007-12-31 23:20:28 UTC
Post by George
I found that I can open the contents of the sandbox by opening the
C:\Documents and Settings\[your name]\
Application Data\Sandbox\DefaultBox\Device\HarddiskVolume1
I was amazed at what was in that folder. There was a C, D, and F drive in
that location. It had a LOT of old data that I didn't know was in there,
probably, in hindsight, from correct usage of Sandboxie.

However, the files I had moved inside the Sandboxie external folder on the
D drive weren't there. Remember, I had accidently *put* files from outside
of Sandboxie into Sandboxie so my problem is a bit different.

I'm reading all you can tell me though and learning. I really don't know
how to get these files back out of Sandboxie. Keep the suggestions coming!

And, Happy New Year!

Caroline
Bear Bottoms
2007-12-31 23:47:33 UTC
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:20:28 -0600, Caroline Freisen
Post by Caroline Freisen
Post by George
I found that I can open the contents of the sandbox by opening the
C:\Documents and Settings\[your name]\
Application Data\Sandbox\DefaultBox\Device\HarddiskVolume1
I was amazed at what was in that folder. There was a C, D, and F drive in
that location. It had a LOT of old data that I didn't know was in there,
probably, in hindsight, from correct usage of Sandboxie.
However, the files I had moved inside the Sandboxie external folder on the
D drive weren't there. Remember, I had accidently *put* files from outside
of Sandboxie into Sandboxie so my problem is a bit different.
I'm reading all you can tell me though and learning. I really don't know
how to get these files back out of Sandboxie. Keep the suggestions coming!
And, Happy New Year!
Caroline
Check adjacent folders...you may have put them in another folder without
realizing it.
--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware Website http://bearbottoms1.com
Caroline Freisen
2007-12-31 23:47:59 UTC
Post by Bear Bottoms
Check adjacent folders...you may have put them in another folder without
realizing it.
I wish. The files went into Sandboxie by the back door and never came out.

Of course it's my fault. But others should be forewarned. Sandboxie is
dangerous if used incorrectly as I did.

Caroline
Bear Bottoms
2008-01-01 00:16:19 UTC
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:47:59 -0600, Caroline Freisen
Post by Caroline Freisen
Post by Bear Bottoms
Check adjacent folders...you may have put them in another folder without
realizing it.
I wish. The files went into Sandboxie by the back door and never came out.
Of course it's my fault. But others should be forewarned. Sandboxie is
dangerous if used incorrectly as I did.
Caroline
I am not so sure if that assumption is but a bit premature to call at this
point.
Sebastian G.
2008-01-01 00:33:23 UTC
Sandboxie is dangerous if used incorrectly as I did.
Who cares? Since Sandboxie doesn't do actual virtualization, and all of the
following: desktop context, clipboard, .shared memory section, base name
objects are shared with the host environment, there's not even remotely a
chance to use Sandboxie correctly. Better not use it at all.

Oh, and please learn how to set a fup2.

Sebastian G.
2007-12-31 10:46:24 UTC
Restore from your latest backup.
Kayman
http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/
Caroline Freisen
2007-12-31 17:06:25 UTC
Post by Kayman
Post by Caroline Freisen
Is there any way to recover the files that were slid into the sandboxie
folder manually? Or are they all gone forever?
http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/
I asked. Here is the forum question titled:
How to recover slid files into the Sandboxie-controlled dir?

How does one recover files accidentally slid into the Sandboxie-controlled
folder using the Windows XP explorer?

I had Sandboxie 3.01 running which I only "use" when I wish to run the
Firefox browser on WinXP.
I then slid some files (moved) outside of Sandboxie using the Windows
explorer into the Sandboxie-controlled folder.
When I doubleclick into the Sandboxie controlled folder, I get the error
message (no matter what I try):
"Access is denied"

In reconstructing what happened, I seem to have a Sandboxie-controlled
folder:
D:\Sandbox

I had a folder containing some data files that I did NOT wish to delete
(pictures):
D:\New Folder

In cleaning up my hard disk in preparation for a backup burn, I moved in
Windows explorer (outside of Sandboxie) the folder "D:\New Folder" and all
its subfolders into "D:\Sandboxie\New Folder".

When I click, in Windows explorer, on "D:\Sandboxie\New Folder" I get the
error:
D:\Sandboxie\New Folder is not accessible. Access is denied

I read the FAQ but did not see this out-of-context use model discussed (it
was an accident).
Sandboxie is almost completely in default mode (maybe even completely in
default mode).
"Function -> Contents of Sandbox -> {Explore Contents, Recover Files}" does
not work.

How do I recover files inadvertently slid into the Sandboxie-controlled
folder?
Caroline Freisen
2007-12-31 23:49:18 UTC
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:06:25 -0800, Caroline Freisen wrote:
Here is one response from the Sandboxie forum but I tried all the
suggestions and none worked.

For others to see, here is the suggestion from the forum.

I believe Sandboxie restricts what can happen in these folders. Can you
simply copy your "New Folder" to a different location? If not, try closing
Sandboxie Control, then bring up Task Manager and end SbieSvc. See if you
can access the files now.

If all else fails, reboot into Safe Mode and move your files.
r***@gmail.com
2007-12-31 13:06:03 UTC
Post by Caroline Freisen
I was testing out sandboxie on winxp and I accidentally slid some important
files into the folder using the non-sandboxed windows explorer.
Important files should be backed up and left alone. First: backup the
important files that you still have, if you have any left. And please
do not back them up on the same partition.
Post by Caroline Freisen
Now I can't get to those critical files. Sandboxie won't unhide them. Are
they still there? Can they be gotten out?
Please help!
The majority of people in this ng including myself are not smart
enough to help you, go to the sandboxie-forum and hope.
Post by Caroline Freisen
Caroline
Dude, no woman would ever be stupid enough to move important files
around. That's a Y-chromo-thing.

--
Rodney